On Sunday, two brothers, aged 3 and 5, died of asphyxiation following obtaining locked inside a car in Jalaan Bani Bu Ali, South Sharqiyah. “The children were playing near the vehicle parked at home. After some time, they entered the car and were later found dead,” an ROP official told Muscat Daily. “We call upon parents not to leave their children unattended in or near vehicles. We also advise parents to ensure their cars are locked.”
Reacting to the tragic incident, Eng Ali al Barwani, a road security professional and member of the Oman Road Safety Association, mentioned, “Such instances get in touch with for intense caution. It’s summer season and the temperature has touched about 42°C.
“Parents need to be extra vigilant. It is very easy for children to get into the car if the doors are open. And, there is every possibility that they can lock themselves inside making it more dangerous.”
He advised parents and guardians not to give children access to autos. “We need to make sure that the vehicles are locked at all times.”
Eng Barwani mentioned that there must be a lot more efforts to boost awareness on such concerns. “Awareness must be increased but we have observed that this does not work well without a law to deal with such matters. Such cases need to be reviewed and dealt by law just like in many other countries.”
According to professionals, death as a outcome of asphyxiation can take place if children are left inside a locked unventilated automobile for a lot more than ten minutes.
Information Source: Muscat Daily